Land of good wine and delightful traditions
Manzano is a town on the banks of the River Natisone, surrounded by hills cultivated with flourishing
vineyards which produce wines famed for their excellence. In geological terms, the territory dates back
to the Eocene period, while the presence of human beings was first recorded in Roman times. The
same name given to the land leads us to assume that this was once the location of the settlement of
a farmer named “Amantius” after whom, following a series of changes, Manzano was named. With
the fall of the Roman Empire, it suffered the consequences of the barbaric invasions of the Longbards,
Avari and Schiavi, as well as the oppression of the terrible Hungarians from 809 to 952, who forced
the inhabitants to abandon the land and take refuge in fortified settlements. The town was no longer
cultivated and became covered with woodland and marshes, returning to its former productive condition thanks to the
arrival of the Augustinian monks, who settled in Rosazzo Abbey, built between 958 and 967, alongside a small hermitage
dating back to 800. Towards 1090, a German family who were accompanying the patriarch Voldarico, made their home
in Manzano, taking over rule of the town and abandoning their original name to take that of the place where they had
The name Manzano was first mentioned in 1106 in a deed of donation and, in 1216, Canciano obtained the investiture of the castle and so the community made its entry into history. The Lords of Manzano, a little turbulent and filled with the desire to expand, supported both the Patriarch of Aquileia and the Count of Gorizia, becoming involved in the common battles, and their manor house was the setting for festivities, tournaments and bitter combat. With the fall of the Serenissima, it was initially ruled by Napoleon, passing under the Lombardo-Veneto Kingdom in 1813, until its annexation to Italy in 1866.
In 1878 the first chair factory, owned by the Fornasarig brothers, Toni and Zaneto, was opened in Manzano, moving to this new location from Mariano in Austria, to avoid paying the heavy duties imposed by the Austrian government on products exported to Italy. These first pioneers were soon joined by numerous entrepreneurs. The First World War interrupted all production activity and the Municipal Council moved to Florence. Recovery was not easy and work was halted again by the Second World, in which Manzano participated actively, with the fight for freedom. Winegrowing has found its natural habitat in this area, and in the same way that “labourers” succeeded in becoming artisans and entrepreneurs in the chair industry, “farmers and sharecroppers” succeeded in transforming their production splendidly and honing the skills needed to conquer markets all over the world - just like the chair
. Numerous grape varieties are grown here, from the international varieties to those particularly prestigious varieties which are native to the area, such as the renowned Picolit, recognized and appreciated since Roman times, and Ribolla Gialla di Rosazzo, which has delighted the papal table and rulers over Europe. Fortunately, Pignolo was recovered during the years of great wine-growing development in our area, giving us the chance to appreciate the qualities which make it one of the great Italian reds. The wisdom of our ancestors envisaged the construction of the owner’s home and the cellar in the same building. Almost always positioned at the top of a hill, these buildings are surrounded by sloping vineyards, offering not only breathtakingly exciting views which are hard to forget, but precise examples of what it really means to respect harmony with the territory of origin, a taste for beauty, the desire to give the spaces in which the barrels repose that scenario that great wine desires and deserves.
The countryside is gradually unveiled, offering particularly atmospheric glimpses of nature, such as the bights of Natisone or the Sdricca nature trail; together with the various cultural and tourist attractions offered by the surrounding hamlets, such as the millenary Rosazzo Abbey and Oleis, named after the intense cultivation of grapes, which is now regaining importance. Here we find the ancient district between the beautiful Miseri and Braida buildings, with the overhead observatory.
Borgo di San Lorenzo and the birthplace of Caterina Percoto, the picturesque scenario represented by Palazzo Piccoli-Brazzà-Martinengo di Soleschiano, the simple and characteristic rural peace offered by the country village of Manzinello with the Morelli de Rossi manor house. Casa Michelloni in Poggiobello, with the little Church of S. Egidio and Palazzo De Marchi and Palazzo Ottelio. In the hamlet of Case: Villa Romano and Palazzo Deciani, to arrive in the town centre with Palazzo Torriani, the Municipal Town Hall, Palazzo Beretta-Codelli, Palazzo dei Conti di Manzano, Villa Beria di Sale, Casino di Caccia dei Conti di Trento. In the hamlet of San Nicolò, one can admire the old irrigation ditch from which the old factories once gained their driving power.