The route: Slovenia

Dobrovo Castle (Gorizia)


Zone: hill
The site is reachable by: road


The castle of Dobrovo, which stands on a hill from which you can admire a beautiful view of...

read more...
 

Dobrovo Castle (Gorizia)


Zone: hill
The site is reachable by: road


The castle of Dobrovo, which stands on a hill from which you can admire a beautiful view of the Italian and Slovenian Collio, is considered one of the most beautiful castles near Gorizia. It was built around 1600 on medieval foundations, which were the only thing left of an ancient castle.
The fortified manor house of the Renaissance with a square base and a tower at each corner, stands on three floors and is incorporated in the large structure of the garden, surrounded by walls and fortified by two circular towers of defense. This wall was probably erected during the second Venetian war, between 1615 and 1617 to be later transformed, after the ending of the Venetian threat, in a porch. One of the towers became a chapel dedicated to Sant Antonio da Padua. In the chapel, you can visit the permanent exhibition of Gothic frescoes, made of original and copied works, found on the territory of the Northern Coast. The first owners of the castle were almost certainly the Colloredo . In the following century the castle was owned by several noble families of the area: in the late eighteenth century the castle passed to the family de Catterini-Erzberg of Gorizia, and later on to the Marquis of Montecuculi. In 1872, following the marriage between the last descendant of the Catterini family, Cecilia, and the Count Silverio de Baguer, the property passed to the descendants of this noble family of Spanish origin. After the Second World War, during which it was used for military purposes, the castle was abandoned. The extensive restoration work, which began in 1979, were completed after 1991. From the main atrium on the ground floor, through a double side ladder, you can climb to the upper floors that house an art gallery that collects 134 chart sheets of world famous Slovenian painter Zoran Mušič. The Knight's Hall is painted with the coats of arms of noble families, and a mural painting dating back to the seventeenth century, representing a naval attack of a city. The Hunter's Room is also very interesting. It was decorated in 1894 by the isontino painter Clemente Del Neri, with wall paintings representing some castles belonging to the then owners of the manor and the Counts of Baguer.

Kromberk Castle (Gorizia)


Zone: hill
The site is reachable by: road


On a panoramic hill, on the outskirts of Nova Gorica, rises the castle of Kromberk, that now...

read more...
 

Kromberk Castle (Gorizia)


Zone: hill
The site is reachable by: road


On a panoramic hill, on the outskirts of Nova Gorica, rises the castle of Kromberk, that now houses the Museum of Nova Gorica (Goriški muzej).
At the end of the 16th century, on the ruins of a former manor house owned by Enrico of Dornberk, this typical Renaissance three-floors building was erected. It consists of a central body sided by 4 towers and surrounded by a terraced garden which also includes a grotto with a statue by Kronos, a hawk's turret and an artificial waterfall.
The castle was named after its owner, Giovanni Maria Coronini, to whom the emperor of Austria in 1609 conferred the nobility title of "von Cronberg" and the legal competence.
Since 1954 it houses the Museum of Nova Gorica with its rich collection of cultural history and paintings, including in the works of artists of the Slovenian Littoral of the twentieth century such as Jožef Tominc, Franc Kavčič and Anton Karinger.

Museum hours
Winter: weekdays from 08.00 to 15.00, Sundays and holidays from 13:00 to 17:00, closed on Saturdays.
Summer: weekdays from 08.00 to 19.00, Sundays and holidays from 13.00 to 19.00, closed on Saturdays.

Rihemberk Castle (Gorizia)


Zone: hill
The site is reachable by: road


The hill on which the castle of Rihemberk (Rifembergo in Italian) stands, was probably...

read more...
 

Rihemberk Castle (Gorizia)


Zone: hill
The site is reachable by: road


The hill on which the castle of Rihemberk (Rifembergo in Italian) stands, was probably built on the ruins of a Roman fortress, overlooking a beautiful valley full of vineyards and peach trees.
The lords of Rihemberk, ministers of Gorizia from South Tyrol, are mentioned for the first time in 1230 when they obtained a fief, from the Counts of Gorizia, a large estates in the valley of Vipacco, near Gorizia, on the Carso and also in the more distant provinces. In the following centuries it became property of the Habsburgs at first and later of the Lantieri, who held its possession until the confiscation, after the Peace Treaty of Paris, in 1947.
During the Second World War, on the night between July 22 and 23 1944, the castle was mined and burned by partisans to prevent the German from using it. On that occasion the furniture and documents kept in the archives were completely destroyed.
The tall and imposing round tower, a traditional element of the manors of Germanic origin, dates back to the thirteenth century, while the chapel belongs to the Gothic period and the defense walls equipped with towers, were reinforced during the Renaissance.
In the seventeenth century, the castle was transformed into a Baroque residence, thus assuming its present appearance.
The partially reconstructed ruins, host in the summer, cultural and social events.

Socerb Castle (Koper)


Zone: hill
The site is reachable by: road


The castle of Socerb (San Servolo in Italian), which was built on a sheer karst cliff...

read more...
 

Socerb Castle (Koper)


Zone: hill
The site is reachable by: road


The castle of Socerb ( San Servolo in Italian ), which was built on a sheer karst cliff face, more than 300 meters high, is one of the most important examples of fortified architecture of the Kraški rob (Karst Edge). Even the Illyrians took advantage of this strategic location to build a fort. The property eventually passed to the Patriarch of Aquileia, and was later conquered by Trieste and Venice.
The core structure was probably built to defend the territory against the Hungarians, while the remaining bodies have been erected during the following centuries. The imposing and well fortified castle has in fact a very rich and troubled history: in the Middle Ages it dominated Trieste’s hinterland and controlled the trade routes between Carniola and the coast.
Because of its strategic location and based on the discovery of a wellhead with a beautiful carved cross, some scholars believe that the Templars used to live in the territory to control the salt road that was produced in the salt marshes of Zaule and transited along Val Rosandra.
The Venetians have owned it from 1463 to 1511 , when the castle was an extremely important defensive stronghold against the Turks and the Austrian empire, during the war between Venice and the Habsburgs that started at the beginning of the sixteenth century. Among the nobles who have owned it over the centuries there was the Triestin Benvenuto Petazzi, whose family held the captaincy until 1688, when it returned to the Archduke of Graz.
It then passed to the Marquis de Priè, and in 1768 it became property of the Montecuculi from Modena, who maintained the property even after the abolition of serfdom in 1848. At that time the castle had already begun its decline, due to the destruction caused by a fire produced by a lighting.
In 1780, the castle was so damaged that it was no longer possible to live within its walls. Between 1924 and 1925 it was partially restored by Baron Demetrius de Economo who fortified the perimeter walls and removed the remains of the interior buildings.
In the period of struggles for the national liberation, the castle played an important role since partisans used it as the headquarters of the secret services and people's court. In 1944 it was conquered by the German army who turned it into a fortified stronghold. It was then restored after the war, and it assumed its current structure.
In the dense forest at the foot of the fortress, there is the cave of San Servolo, described in 1823 by Count Girolamo Agapito. Legend has it, that the martyr from Trieste retired there as a hermit to pray, to fast, and to quench the thirst only with the dripping water collected inside the cave. It is a karst cavity with a modest development, a large hall in which was housed an altar as well as some branches and lateral wells.
The cave of St. Servolo (called in Slovenian Sveta Jama "Holy Cave") is also very important because it is the only Slovenian underground church.

Download pdf percorso